St. Joseph’s Catholic Church (Nyaung Gone)

Eugene Mahn Saw La
Nyaung-gone Village
Kaw-mu P.O.
Yangon Division
Tel: +95 (0)9 492 82264

(Pastor) Fr. Eugene Mahn Saw La

Daily Mass
6:30a.m.(Myan.)

Sunday Masses
7:30a.m.(Myan.),5:00a.m.(Myan.atNgetawsan)

Nyaung-gone parish is about 30 miles southwest of Yangon, the Capital of Myanmar. From Yangon city it can be reached both by boat and car. The people take to farming and to fisheries. The Mission was started by the French Missionary Fathers (MEP) around 1900. Brother John, FSC, started an Orphanage at this place in 1920 and was stopped in 1964 when it was nationalized.

Actually this was the mother mission of Twantay mission. The French Missionary Fathers, at first, made Nyaunggone village about 3 miles from Hgnet-aw-san village as their mission center. From there slowly they left this center and moved to Twantay after seeing the situation and the needs of the people.

Until October 2004, this mission was under Twantay parish. In October 2004 this mission was again created as new parish, Fr. Eugene Mahn Saw La being its first pastor.