Tel: +95 (0)1 565778
(Pastor) Fr. Simon Tin Maung
6:00a.m.(Myan. & Eng.alternatively), 5:00 p.m.(Myan. only Wed. 1st Fri.)
From the very beginning of this century, Thingangyun, being a rich paddy land, was occupied by a majority of Indians. Among the Indians there were a number of Tamilian Catholics.
In 1934, the Roman Catholics of Thingangyun who were numbering about 400, felt the need of a small church and an elementary school as well. Accordingly, after Mass on Sundays, 18th March, 1934 and 6th May, 1934 meetings of Roman Catholics was held under the auspices of the Thingangyun St. Anthony’s Society to discuss ways and means. The chair was occupied by Rev. Father Dessalle, then Parish Priest of St. Anthony’s Church, Kandawgale, Rangoon.
It was decided to erect a temporary structure for the use of the proposed elementary school on the land then occupied by the old St. Anthony’s Society and to open the school before the end of May. The name of the proposed chapel and the elementary school would be St. Joseph’s. It has also been observed that starting from mid 30’s the annual feast of St. Joseph has been celebrated.
The Present Site
The present site was formerly given as a free grant to the Anglican Bishop of Rangoon on 21st May, 1920, by the Government for religious purpose. However, no building was put up till 1937. So in 1937 the Suburban Development Trust alerted the Bishop (Anglican) to start constructing or to give back the land. Since he was unable to meet the demands of the government the bishop decided to give back the land to the government. About this subject certain Mr. Ignatius cleared himself and came to see Rev. Fr. Dessalle, asking him to go and see the bishop and request him to transfer the place simply.
Bishop West received Rev. Fr. Dessalle very well and promised to write the Development Trust Officer asking him to transfer the land to the Catholic Church in the person of Rt. Rev. Bishop F. Provost, Vicar Apostolic of lower Burma and his successors in office. Accordingly the transfer was made from the Bishop of Rangoon (Anglican) to Bishop F. Provost on May 20, 1938. The government gave the grant to Bishop F. Provost with the proviso that a building be put up on the land within a period of one year.
The Church’s construction started in 1939, but the construction came to a halt when war broke out in the same year. The semi-finished church was used till 1978. After the War the Church was put under the charge of Rev. Fr. Assear, attached to St. Francis parish, Tamwe. He used to come to Thingangyun regularly for confessions and Mass.
In 1952, Rev. Fr. Bordin SDB, a Salesian, was in Rangoon looking for a place to start a school, as a typical son of Don Bosco who was an apostle of youth. For quite a long time Fr. Bordin stayed in the General Procure, Rangoon. Incidentally, in 1953 the Archbishop of Rangoon offered Rev. Fr. Bordin the chance of taking care of the church of Thingangyun and the opportunity of starting a school in Thingangyun itself. The proposal was accepted and Rev. Fr. Bordin settled down in Thingangyun in a rented house of a certain Mr. Ariff about four furlongs away from the Church in Hninzigon, which he also employed as a primary school. From there he ministered to the Church and the needs of the Parish.
In 1954, it was cononically erected into a parish, separate from St. Francis Parish, by the Archbishop of Rangoon Most Rev. Dr. V. Bazin. On November 21, 1954, in the presince of the presence of the Salesian Provincial Very Rev. Fr. A. Alessi SDB and the Thingangyun Catholic community, His Grace the Archbishop, entirely and oficially handed over the parish of the Salesian Society. Rev. Fr. U. Bordin SDB became the first resident parish priest with Rev. Fr. Bertolino as his assistant. The number of souls at that time was about 800. By 1963 there were over 2000 Catholics.
In 1975, during the time of Fr. Cyril Francis, SDB, the Salesian mission was withdrawn and from that time onward till now the diocesan priests are taking charge of this parish. In 2004 there are 1544 Catholics.
အစပထမ၌ ဘာသာ၀င္မ်ားမွာ လယ္သမား၊တမီလ္ဘာသာ၀င္မ်ားျဖစ္ၾကသည္။ ၁၉၃၄ ခုႏွစ္၌ ဘာသာ၀င္ ၄၀၀ ခန္႔ရွိလာျပီး၊ ေသးငယ္ေသာဘုရားေက်ာင္းတစ္ေဆာင္ႏွင့္ မူလတန္း ေက်ာင္းေဆာင္ေလးကို ေဆာက္လုပ္ခဲ့ၾကသည္။အစ၌ေက်ာင္းထိုင္ဘုန္းေတာ္ၾကီးမွာ Rev. Fr. Dessall ျဖစ္သည္။ ေနာက္ပိုင္း၌ St. Anthony ေက်ာင္းထိုင္ဘုန္ေတာ္ၾကီးမ်ားမွ တာ၀န္ယူ ခဲ့ၾကေလသည္။ St. Anthony မွ ေက်ာင္းသားေဟာင္းမ်ားမွ ဘုရားေက်ာင္းကိုျပန္လည္ျပင္ဆင္ျပီး၊ စာသင္ေက်ာင္း ကိုလည္း ျပင္ဆင္၍ ေက်ာင္းမ်ားကိုဖြင့္လွစ္ခဲ့ၾကသည္။ ဘုရားေက်ာင္းကိုလည္း စိန္ဂိ်ဳးဇက္ ကက္သလစ္ ေက်ာင္းဟု အမည္ေပးထားျပီး၊ ႏွစ္စဥ္ပြဲေတာ္ကိုလည္း က်င္းပခဲ့ၾကသည္။
လက္ရွိေက်ာင္းေတာ္၏ ေျမေနရာကို ၁၉၂၀ ခု ေမလ ၂၁ ရက္ေန႔၌ အာဏာပိုင္ အဖြဲ႔အစည္းက အဂၤလီကန္အသင္းေတာ္အား၊ ဘာသာေရးကိစၥအတြက္ အသံုးျပဳရန္ေပးခဲ့ေလသည္။ သို႔ေသာ္ ၁၉၃၇ ခုႏွစ္အထိ အဂၤလီကန္အသင္းလက္မွ မည္သည္႔အေဆာက္အဦးမွ မေဆာက္ႏိုင္ခဲ့ေပ။ သို႔အတြက္ေၾကာင့္အာဏာပိုင္ကျပန္လည္ အပ္ႏွံရန္ေတာင္းဆိိုလာေလသည္။ သို႔အတြက္ေၾကာင့္ Mr. Ignatius ဆိုေသာပုဂၢိဳလ္ကၾကား၀င္ေပးရန္၊ ကက္သလစ္အသင္းေတာ္အား လႊဲေျပာင္းေပးရန္ အက်ိဳးေဆာင္ခဲ့ေလသည္။ Bishop F. Provost လက္ထက္၊၁၉၃၈ ခု ေမလ ၂၀ ရက္ေန႔၌ ကက္သလစ္အသင္းေတာ္အတြက္ လႊဲေျပာင္းယူခဲ့ျပီး၊ တစ္ႏွစ္အတြင္း ဘုရားေက်ာင္း ေဆာက္လုပ္ပါမည္ဟု ၀န္ခံကတိျပဳ၍ ရယူခဲ့ေလသည္။
၁၉၃၉ ခုႏွစ္၌ ဘုရားေက်ာင္းကို စတင္ေဆာက္လုပ္ခဲ့ျပီး၊ စစ္အတြင္း၌တစ္ပိုင္းတစ္စႏွင့္ က်န္ရစ္ခဲ့ေလသည္။ ၁၉၇၈ ခုအထိ တစ္ပိုင္းတစ္စသာ ျပီးေသးေသာေက်ာင္း၌ ၀တ္ျပဳခဲ့ရသည္။ တာေမြ St. Francis မွေက်ာင္းထိုင္မ်ားက လာေရာက္ကူညီခဲ့ၾကသည္။
၁၉၅၂ ခုႏွစ္၌ ဆေလးရွင္းဂိုဏ္း၀င္ Fr. Bordin လူငယ္မ်ားအတြက္ ေနရာရွာေနေသာ အခိ်န္၌ ၁၉၅၃ ခုႏွစ္၌ ရန္ကုန္ဂိုဏ္းခ်ဳပ္ဆရာေတာ္ၾကီးက Fr. Bordin အား ထိုေနရာ၌ ေက်ာင္းဖြင့္ရန္ အခြင့္ေပးလုိက္ေလသည္။ ၁၉၅၄ခု ႏို၀င္ဘာလ ၂၁ ရက္ေန႔၌ ဂိုဏ္းခ်ဳပ္ ဆရာေတာ္ၾကီး V. Bazin မွ ထိုသာသနာအားဆေလးရွင္းဂိုဏ္းသို႔ လံုး၀အပ္လုိက္ျပီး Fr. Bordin, SDB မွ ပထမဆံုးေသာ ေက်ာင္းထိုင္ဘုန္းေတာ္ၾကီး ျဖစ္ခဲ့ေလသည္။
၁၉၇၅ ခု Fr. Cyril Francis, SDB လက္ထက္တြင္ထိုသာသနာကို ရန္ကုန္ကက္သလစ္ဂိုဏ္းခ်ဳပ္ဆရာေတာ္လက္ထဲျပန္လည္အပ္ႏွင္းခဲ့ျပီး၊ ထိုအခ်ိန္မွစ၍ ယေန႔အထိ ရန္ကုန္ ကက္သလစ္ဂိုဏ္းခ်ဳပ္သာသနာမွဘုန္ေတာ္ၾကီးမ်ားကတာ၀န္ယူခဲ့ၾကေလသည္။ ၂၀၀၄ ခုႏွစ္ စာရင္းမ်ား အရ ကက္သလစ္ ဘာသာ၀င္ဦးေရ ၁၅၄၄ ဦးရွိေလသည္။
|1.||Rev. Fr. U Bordin (SDB)||1954-63||The only Salesion mission in Yangon Archdiocese|
|2.||Fr. Bertino (SDB) Assist||1958-|
|3.||Fr. Thomas D’Souza (SDB)||1965-69|
|4.||Fr. Cyril Francis (SDB)||1969-1975||1975- Salesion handover the Parish to Yangon Archdiocese|
|5.||Fr. S. Joachim||1975-1984|
|6.||Fr. Dominic Khin Soe||1984-86|
|7.||Fr. Joseph Maung Win||1987-2002||North/south Dagon was separated as new Parish of Holy Innocents.|
|8.||Fr. Matthew Than Htay||2002-2005|
|9.||Fr. Cecil Bernard||2005-2007|
|10.||Fr. Anthony Zaw Htun||2007-2009|
|11.||Fr. Simon Tin Maung||2009-|